Sunday, December 21, 2008

Our Town

Where else do we begin to learn but at "our town"?

That's where we find the value of a silhouette...


And also where we learn to appreciate the telling details...


And the stuff that makes life worth living. 

I live in a small, unpretentious town in the Midwest: DeKalb, IL (pop. 39,018), home of Northern Illinois University, where I teach.  The town is not known for its picturesque views but for being the cradle of barbed wire and Cindy Crawford (proud DeKalb High School graduate).  

DeKalb is also the place where I cut my photographic teeth.  I couldn't do it in Guatemala, where I was born, simply because I had eyes, but no camera.  Here, I found myself with both. 

My theme for the next few entries, then, is, you guessed, my town, what it looks like, and what I've seen in it.  Of course, that includes shots in film and digital.  The ones above, for now, are recent additions from the D700... which is, indeed, a joy to use, and very tolerant to low temperatures (as the GM grill should prove).

Enjoy!!!

No comments: