Monday, January 17, 2011

Unexpected feature, or just plain luck?


One thing nobody has mentioned about the AF-S 24-70 f2.8 lens is its amazing minimum focusing distance. It's remarkable! How did I find out? On Saturday, Jan 15th 2011 we went to Chicago, meaning to take the heir to Shedd Acquarium. However, fate intervened, and we ended up going to a much less frustrating place: the Garfield Park Conservatory. There are lots of exotic plants there!

Just get a load of this...


This yellow wonder was in the children's play area, where, as you can imagine, we spent some time while my wife made sure the heir got entertained.


Right by the water exhibit, a nice illustration of composition, color and contrast. Forgot to pay attention to the name... though, to be quite honest, I didn't see any.


I must admit this is not a plant, but a toy. It was a type of maracca made out of something like a gourd, and covered with a nice lacing of thread and pebbles.

All the photographs with the exception of the last one, were taken with the AF-S 24-70 f2.8. True, they don't show how close this lens can get, but then, see this one.


If I remember correctly, this is from the Bromeliae family... And if it's not, well, it wasn't too far from the Bromeliae. In any event, I got very close to the focusing point, and may in fact venture that I was at about four or six inches away.

Did Nikon design the lens to be this way? I remember it's a professional lens, but that also makes me wonder whether professional glass is expected to be this versatile. Imagine... this is fast glass, nicely sharp, and can do macro in a pinch!

Not that it's a magic bullet. Remember: it can flare.

But, for whatever it's worth, that was a nice discovery.

So long!


No comments: