Friday, November 21, 2008

Exposure quick fix

Last night, I spent an impressive amount of time with this camera..

While I was at it, I tinkered with some of the photos I had in my card.  The one above, with the Sigma AF 24-70, did get some help from the built-in flash.  


This one (same lens), didn't.


And this very grumpy Ben, wasn't really under the flash either.

So, the reason I posted them is that, in the end, all got the benefit of the D-lighting exposure remedy built in the menus of the camera.  While you can have Active D-Lighting on, D-Lighting alone only comes up when you click the OK button twice while viewing a photograph in the monitor.  Then, you see a choice of your photo as is, next to another one, modified with High, Normal or Low D-Lighting.  It seems to be a "smart fix" that corrects shadows (in a histogram, it probably moves the midtone slider a bit, without altering the other two).  My coffee mug did get some additional, judicious light, while the bottle didn't.  Ben, however, got a bit of the filter treatment... but the truth is that the shot pretty much looks the same as when I looked at it first.

BTW, I'm still learning, and not blaming the camera for my mistakes.  In any event, I had to realize, philosophically, that digital is not any better than film in terms of rendering an image the way we see it.  Colors will change, light will have an effect, no matter what we do with WB, but in the end, the good thing about digital is... that is different. 

And that's the news for today... Of course, without mentioning that my newest zoom (a financial suicide, but then, life is short) may be here on Monday, Nov. 25.  

Be back soon! 

No comments: