Friday, November 14, 2008

More impressive shots

My photos are so lame, only this camera saves them... just a bit.




First, our youngest cat, Mimí, looking up (AF-S 24-120 VR).  Then, the headless gargoyle from NIU (w/ Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8) and last, one of my first shots with this camera: my home street lamp (same Sigma lens).  

First, I downloaded the images from my card with the aid of a card reader (Lexar, firewire connection).  Then, after Nikon View opened immediately, I renamed them and transferred to a folder of mine.  Once copied onto my computer, I opened Photoshop Elements and re-saved them as Photoshop JPEGs.  

Is that how I should treat RAW files?  Does ViewNX just open them and turns them into TIFFs or something?  

Sure, I hear so much about the wonders of RAW files... but I still feel kinda reluctant about using them.  Then, why did I get this camera?  Heck, time to try.  Hopefully, next time I update this blog I'll have Capture in my hard disk.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that cat photo. The use of empty space is something that I do quite often so I appreciate it when I see other images with that same effect!

Thanks for linking to my site by the way!

Anonymous said...

Capture NX2 is absolutely awesome by the way.

Vincent Versace has an amazing dvd for $60 about unleashing the raw power of NX2 that is worth every penny!

http://www.acmeeducational.com/versace/index.html

Francisco Solares-Larrave said...

Michael, thanks for your comment. Theses last two days I've been using Capture along with PSE, and I can see how good the Nikon software is. Chances are I'll end up buying it at the end of my trial period.