Thursday, November 20, 2008

Monster a-coming!

All these shots were done with some lenses I have already.

This one, with my Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 (ISO 3000)

This one, also with my Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 (ISO 800)

And this one, with my Tamron 200-400 f5.6 in DX mode. 

However, there are some small things that leave me slightly unsatisfied with this camera.  First, the sharpness isn't all that's cracked up to be, and then, there's a strange cast on all the color shots taken indoors without flash.  Then, the noticeable difference between both photographs with the Sigma.  It may be me, it may be the ISO, it may be something else... I won't blame it on the camera, as I still need to learn what some settings do.  Actually, my cat photograph below was taken with my Nikon AF 24-120 VR, of ill repute to some... and the sharpness is amazing.  Go figure... 

In any event, one thing kept coming up in my mind: if I managed to snag a camera like this one, the right thing is to have the best possible lens.  

So, I simply went and ordered the Nikon 24-70 AF-S from Amazon today. 

Actually, I am very happy with the shots from my Nikon 24-120, but the Sigma ones... aren't that great wide open.  And, being used to Leicas, I simply prefer to shoot wide-open.  The DOF in these lenses isn't like the German glass...  I can learn to live with that, but however shallow, I'd enjoy a bit more sharpness in my open shots.  We'll see what it is like when the zoom comes...  And, of course, I won't take long to post some results here. 

BTW, I downloaded Nikon Capture today.  The 60-day trial version still hasn't won me over yet.  My computers, however, could handle it well.  I may use it (combined with Nikon View) to turn NEFs into JPEGs.   I also played connecting the camera to my laptop and transferring around 60 photographs (a total of over 230 MB).

But first things first: the lens should be coming on November 25th.  Just around the corner, right before Thanksgiving.  Let's see how that one plays the trick.   

No comments: