Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hooray! It's here!

The Nikon D700 body I ordered came in today.  Oddly enough, they didn't add a 4 GB card as offered initially... but I won't quibble.  They sent the camera via Next-Day UPS shipping and that's good enough.

Now... first impressions:
  • The body, heavy already, feels pretty much like my Nikon F100
  • The battery came partially charged.  It was easy to get it to work.
  • Menus and options are remarkably LESS complicated than I expected
  • Photographers used to the layout and controls of Nikon AF film cameras won't find this one any different from the F100 or the F5.
  • Buttons, controls, dials... are remarkably smooth
That's all for now.  I've set the camera to shoot JPEGs for now, but later, once I have figured out how to handle RAW files and other quirks, I'll set it up for the job.  For now, I have still room for about 250 exposures in a 2GB Lexar card. 

BTW, the camera is very responsive, and can be used just minutes after getting it out of the box.  In short, I'm a happy camper!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it arrived safely!

Let me know if you have any questions about setting the D700 up for more advanced uses. I can also fill you in on some RAW processing stuff to make your life easier. Once you go RAW you don't go back!

It has really come a long way and is well worth it. I would have to say you would get like 80-100 images on that 2gb card if shooting RAW. I picked up some 16gb Sandisk cards and they hold around 800+ RAW files which is real nice.

taffer said...

Aha ! So that's what you were busy with eh ! ;) I already knew of the happy ending to the shipment story (man do shipping problems make nothing good for one's nerves!), and I'm real happy to see that you finally went with the blog.
Will keep reading all the entries so I can get up to date.
Hope that doesn't mean you'll now neglect your film cameras eh ? ;)